January 03, 2008

Employers Required to Use New Form I-9’s After Dec 26, 2007

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services has issued a new Form I-9 used by employers to verify employees’ eligibility to work in the United States. The only acceptable Form I-9 has a revision date of June 5, 2007 (located in the lower left corner of the document.) Employers may download and copy this form at no charge from www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf. A free version also may be obtained by calling 1-800-870-3676.
Employers must use the June 5, 2007, Form I-9 for all employees hired on or after November 7, 2007. Employers are not required to redo earlier versions of the form, but must use the new Form I-9 for reverification of employees.
Now that the transition period ended on December 26, 2007 employers will be subject to penalties for using outdated versions of Form I-9.