From the IRS regarding Status of 1023 Applications:
The Process: Upon receipt, exemption applications accompanied by the required user fee are initially separated into three groups: (1) those that can be processed immediately based on information submitted, (2) those that need minor additional information to be resolved, and (3) those that require additional development.
If your application falls in the first or second group, you will receive either your determination letter or a request for additional information, via phone, fax, or letter, within approximately 60 days of the date the application was submitted. If your application falls within the third group, you will be contacted once your application has been assigned to an EO specialist.
Current Status of Applications Requiring Additional Development: Cases received as of December 2005* are currently being assigned.
What You Can Do:
If you submitted your application or determination letter request:
- in or after the month indicated above, continue to check this web page for updates and wait for us to contact you. There is no need to call.
- before the month indicated above and you have not been contacted by the IRS about your application, you may want to contact TE/GE Customer Account Services.
You will need the following information before you contact the IRS to verify the status of an application or determination letter request:
- The name of the organization on whose behalf the request was submitted;
- The organization's employer identification number (EIN);
- The document locator number assigned to the request (if you have received one); and
- A proper power of attorney submitted with the exemption application unless you are legally authorized to represent the organization, such as an officer or director.